Researchers and inventors in Cameroon are meeting in Yaounde at the 6th edition of the Week of Excellence of Scientific Research and Innovation in Cameroon, JERSIC.
The Minister of Scientific Research and Innovation, Madeleine Tchuinte opened the three-day forum on 21st February 2018.
Speaking on the occasion, the Minister highlighted the importance of scientific research and innovation in Cameroon’s economic emergence.
Minister Madeleine Tchuinte also used the forum to laud the work of researchers especially as the Institute of Agricultural Research for Development (IRAD) recently received four awards in an event in Geneva, Switzerland.
The inaugural lesson of the day delivered by Dr Boubakar Likiby, highlighted the importance of merging production with research in a bid to enhance output which is indispensable for socio-economic progress.
After the official opening ceremony, Minister Madeleine Tchuinte and other Government Ministers, Ambassadors and national and international partners were led to the JERSIC exhibition grounds in the courtyard of the Yaounde Town Hall.
The exhibitors each presented their work and received the appreciation of the Minister for their hard work over the years.
The Week of Excellence of Scientific Research and Innovation in Cameroon, JERSIC is an event aimed at bringing to the spotlight, researchers and research results.
It also an opportunity to show the national community that science, technology and innovation, are economic instruments for wealth and job creation in the country.
This year’s event will feature exhibitions, workshops, roundtables and the award of prizes to best researchers and innovators.
The prizes will include:
– A special prize from the Head of State, H.E. Paul Biya dubbed “Lion d’Or” of Excellence in Scientific Research and Innovation worth 10 million CFAF
– The prize of best senior researcher worth 1 million CFAF
– The prize of best junior researcher worth 500.000 CFAF
– Special Prize from the President of the Republic for a young innovator worth 10 million CFAF
– Special Prize from the Head of State for valorisation for a young Cameroonian worth 3 millions CFAF.
The prizes will be awarded during closing ceremony of the 2018 JERSIC on 23rd February 2018.