Ghana: A network engineer produces pavement blocks from plastic waste

 

Ghanian born Nelson Boateng is promoter of pavement blocks for sidewalks and roads produced from plastic waste.

This initiative was conceived after the government of Ghana banned the use of plastic bags.

The network engineer Nelson Boateng and his team transform recycled plastic waste to blocks and used for sidewalks and roads.

The business now witnesses a boom in spite of the high cost.

The market price is presently USA$1 for the blocks while those produced with concrete

USA $ 1.50.

Experts have confirmed that Nelson’s pavement blocks are of higher quality that those in the Ghanian market.

 

The fabrication process

The process begins with shredded plastic mixed with sand.

The composition of the solution for the blocs created five years ago.

The final product, namely the blocks, is obtained from the composition of 80% of plastic waste and 20% of sand.

In Ghana only 2% of plastic waste is recycled. The rest of the 98% is usually just dumped in land fields.

According to the young entrepreneur, his pavers are hard to rot and last longer than cement. For him, they are more resistant up to 80% than traditional blocks made from concrete or tarmac.

The plastic pavement blocks have a life span of up to five hundred years.

Nelplast produces nearly 200 blocks a day and employs around 230 direct and indirect workers. An economic contribution to the fight against pollution and the construction of clean cities in Africa.

 Bruno Ndonwie Funwie

Une pensée sur “Ghana: A network engineer produces pavement blocks from plastic waste

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *

Ce site utilise Akismet pour réduire les indésirables. En savoir plus sur comment les données de vos commentaires sont utilisées.

error: Content is protected !!