Kenya has withdrawn their interest in hosting the 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations, according to Football Kenya Federation President, Nick Mwendwa.
Ghana was stripped off the hosting rights by the Confederation of African Football. The CAF decision came after the government of Ghana temporarily took charge of football matters following the resignation of Football Association President, Kwesi Nyantakyi.
Kenya had been tipped as a potential replacement , but Football Kenya Federation has confirmed that they are not in a position to take responsibility for the tournament.
“Kenya have withdrawn interest in hosting 2018 AWCON,” Mwendwa told KweséESPN on Sunday 26th August 2018. “We had expressed our interest in hosting the competition after learning that Ghana will not be able to host.
“Unfortunately, we seem to have only the Kasarani Stadium ready to host the competition, and yet two stadiums are required.
“We informed CAF on Saturday of the development and they also replied.”
Despite Kenya’s withdrawal, CAF President,Ahmad Ahmad remains confident that a new host will be announced in September.
Worth noting is the fact that With just three months before the start of the competition, CAF has been left unimpressed with the progress work at venues Ghana.
According to Africa’s football governing body, the decision was taken due to the country’s disastrous preparation for the competition left the Egypt-based body with no option.
The Ghanaian Football Federation on its part says she is unnaware of being stripped Of 2018 AWCON hosting rights.
“Until CAF writes to us, Ghana is still the host of the competition. I believe Ghana is ready to host this tournament.
“I will be surprised if CAF takes the hosting right from us.
Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Algeria, South Africa, Zambia, Mali and Nigeria have already qualified for the tournament, and will be joined by the new host.
Ghana will also miss out on a place at the global showpiece as their place at the tournament will be taken by the new host.
The eight-team tournament is scheduled to take place between 17 November to 1 December 2018 but the dodgy pace of preparation look to have led to the decision.