The government of Cameroon will pay housing allowances for teachers in the basic education sector from the month of April 2022.
This is one of the solutions government has provided to resolve the claims of teachers in this sector.
About three weeks ago, government requested that the striking trade unions call off their strike as their solutions to their problems were being sorted.
Basic Education Minister, Laurent Serge Etoundi Ngoa granted a press conference this March 25 to announce measures taken by government to address concerns raised by teachers in the basic education sector.
Five key measures all approved by the Head of State will be implemented from April 2022.
– Payment of housing allowance to teachers in the basic education sector who have not yet received it from April 2022.
– Settlement of arrears related to housing allowance from July 2022.
– Payment of financial effects following the integration of teachers and contract teachers who have integration decision
– Evaluation of clearance of the arrears induced by the integration of contract teachers during the 2023 fiscal year
– Updating the careers of all personnel of the basic education Ministry and the evaluation of the settlement of the resulting arrears based on the promotion decisions already signed.
Basic Education authorities in search of solutions
In addition to these measures are those independently implemented by the Basic Education Ministry with the goal of improving working conditions for teachers in this sector.
The Ministry of Basic Education has granted special bonuses to teachers working in rural areas with difficult access and boarder areas.
Basic education authorities have also constructed on-call housing, and crafted reforms in the pedagogic, infrastructure and human resource management.
Minister Laurent Serge Etoundi Ngoa has created an ad hoc committee to evaluate and monitor the smooth implementation of these measures.
Although solutions have been provided, the Minister says discussions with trade Ionian leaders will continue.
Kathy Neba Sina