Over 20 people have been killed, many others injured and houses burnt down in a night time raid at the new Layout Egbekaw neighbourhood in the outskirts of Mamfe, Manyu Division of the South West Region, Cameroon.
According to the the Senior Divisional Officer for Manyu, Viang Mekala, the attack happened at about 3:30 am on November 6, in the new Layout Egbekaw neighborhood which he describes as “ close to the water, and close to the bush.”
“The assessment we have just made shows that we have recorded about 20 deaths, 10 houses burnt and about 7 injured persons currently in the hospital,” he said.
The injured are reported to be receiving treatment at the Mamfe integrated hospital, while the bodies of the victims have also been deposited at the mortuary. Some of the bodies, including men, women and children were charred in the houses set ablaze by the gunmen.
In one of the videos circulating online, two women, one of them pregnant, are seen being raped and later killed.
As the people of Mamfe mourn the dead, the SDO says the population should “remain calm as the forces of law and order are in the field to arrest the terrorists who will be persecuted .”
Meantime, elites of the Manyu Division have condemned the attack and called for an end to the carnage that has gone on for over five years now.
“ We deplore this continued attacks on the population. How can people unleash this kind of savagery, wickedness on their own people?,” Victor Arrey Nkongho Mengot, Minister Delegate at the Presidency of the Republic said.
The attack has been described as the deadliest in the South West Region since the start of the crisis in the North West and South West regions over five years back.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the gruesome act. Cameroonians have however continued to make incessant calls for an end to the savagery.
Kathy Neba Sina